You want to land the job, but first you have to get through the interview. The truth is that the way you dress can make or break your chances of landing the position. We’ve got some tips to help ensure that your look is both professional and memorable.
The Importance of a good shirt
The shirt is the foundation of the suit, and it's what a lot of people think about when they think about dress shirts. The collar should be crisp and straight--not too loose or too tight, try out our Bentley White Shirt. It should fit comfortably without being loose around your neck or body, but if you're wearing suspenders (which we recommend), then this won't matter as much because they'll hold up any excess fabric in the back.
Choosing the Right Suit Colour
The colour of your suit can convey various messages and set the tone for your interview.
Mens Navy Blue Suit:
- Navy blue suits are timeless and versatile. They exude professionalism and can be worn for a wide range of occasions.
- Ideal for job interviews, business meetings, and conservative events.
- Pair with a white dress shirt for a classic look, or add a splash of colour with a tie or pocket square
Try our timeless Mens Navy Suits.
Charcoal Grey Suit::
- Charcoal grey suits are a symbol of sophistication and elegance.
- Perfect for formal events, including weddings and upscale business gatherings.
- Combine with a light-coloured dress shirt for contrast and a professional appearance.
Try our classic Mens Grey Suits.
- Black suits are the epitome of formality, they are best suited for senior positions.
- Pair with a crisp white dress shirt and a black tie for a classic, timeless look.
Browse our Mens Black Suits.
- Brown suits are becoming increasingly popular for their trendy look and are suitable for interviews in the creative industry
- Pair with earth-toned shirts or ties for a coordinated look.
Take a look at our versatile Ralph Brown Blazer.
- Tie: A tie is an essential part of a man's wardrobe, but it's also one of the few items that can be worn in different ways. A smart knot is perfect for an interview, see our blog on step by step Instructions for tying a tie.
- Watch: There are lots of different watches out there; some are functional while others are purely decorative. If you have one that has both functions, make sure it's clean and working properly before heading into any important meetings
- Handkerchief: This should match whatever colour scheme you've chosen for your outfit--but don't worry about making sure it does! See our accessories section.
The Perfect Fit
If you want to look your best, you need to make sure that your suit is the right one for you and the occasion. If it doesn't fit correctly and feels uncomfortable, it will show in how you carry yourself. A suit should be tailored to fit your body shape so that it looks sleek from all angles--not baggy or too tight. It may seem obvious but make sure that whatever color or pattern of suit you choose matches with any other accessories (tie/pocket square) that are part of the ensemble as well!.
Finally, remember that comfort is key when choosing a suit because nobody wants something constricting them while they're trying their best during an interview! See our blog on size: Choosing Men's Suits That Suit You Best.
In addition to your attire, your grooming habits also play a crucial role in your overall appearance. A well-groomed appearance shows that you take pride in your personal presentation. Ensure your hair is neatly styled, your beard (if you have one) is well-maintained, and your nails are clean and trimmed. A fresh, subtle fragrance can leave a positive impression, but be cautious not to overdo it.
Body language speaks volumes. Maintain eye contact, offer a firm handshake, sit up straight, and nod to show you're engaged. Avoid fidgeting or crossing your arms, as it can convey nervousness.
Interviews can be stressful, but staying calm is crucial. Take deep breaths, maintain a positive attitude, and remember that the interview is an opportunity for both you and the employer to assess fit.
Remember that practice makes perfect, so invest time in honing your interview skills, and soon you'll be on your way to career success.
To make that unforgettable impression during your interview, it's imperative that you select the right suit, pay attention to the details, and prioritise comfort. Don't forget about the impact of accessories like ties and cufflinks – they're your secret weapons for personalising your look. Explore our hand-picked selection of Accessories and step into that interview room with confidence, knowing that you're dressed for success. Your dream job awaits!